}

Wednesday 2 November 2011

Scrapplique

What to do with little fabric pieces? I mean the really little pieces, less than 1", I keep them all, I can't help it. Those little scraps of colourful joy, scraps from the childrens projects, old bedding, scraps of family, scraps of life.
I looked for projects online, but there isn't alot you can do with very tiny scraps, so I stitched them down, on slightly bigger scraps.

Photobucket

It became quite addictive, a simple kantha stitch, rainbow arteries connecting cloth to cloth, to create new colour and new cloth. I have a pile of these "new" cloths, and I will keep adding to the pile, and maybe one day I will connect those too, and have one big cloth, who knows? There is no plan, the only plan is to keep stitching. I call it scrapplique, it seems fitting, raw edges, no fancy pants precision, just cloth on cloth.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Some of them are gifts, yet to be gifted.

The base cloths are all hand dyed with tea and tumeric, and mostly cut from my old linen maternity pants. I guess those pants were pretty big, I seem to have an awful lot of that cloth.

15 comments:

  1. They're beautiful! I especially love the raindrops. Funnily enough I think they'd make cute little drawstring bags too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO very awesome! I especially love the first raindrop one. I think I may do that someday too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sew deliciously wonderful! so much nicer than the usual crumb piecing one usually sees with tiny little scraps (though, they are wonderful, too, your manifestation is so fantastically tactile and inviting!).

    namaste'

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this, it reminds me of the art work that I came across at the hippy market in Ibiza :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Joline - love the raindrop one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cant throw out those scraps either...they are too lovely. Your stitching and cloths are beautiful. Makes me happy.

    Jacky xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol at the maternity pants!! These are wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. Did I say they were wonderful?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, I think you should stitch them all together. It would make a beautiful wall hanging. And, trust me, I too, have some ginormous maternity pants left over!
    xo,
    Sena

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh goodness sakes these are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful way to use up those tiny scraps! I wish I were that patient - to make stuff with those tinies... Instead I sometimes throw away the scraps! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello
    I've just found your blog and love it, what delightful scraps of embroidered heaven-liness xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh more of them! They are so pretty! Looking forward to that "maybe" big cloth of them in the future.

    I can't throw mine either... they end up in glas jars at the moment and sometimes I use them for making pictures in fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! I really admire your patience and talent! Congratulations! It's looking beautiful!

    ReplyDelete