}

Thursday 19 July 2012

I see a Tree

I unwrapped the bundles, no leaf prints, and one cloth was a bit dissapointing so I tied it back up and popped it back in the dye bath to steep a while longer.

But I like this one, alot.

Photobucket

I see a tree trunk! Do you?
It dried darker than it appeared when wet, the luminous lime greens turning a pale muddy brown.

Photobucket

I am delighted with the results, but really want some leaf prints. No luck with Oak, perhaps the leaves are too young?
Does anyone know what leaves found in the UK might print nicely?

6 comments:

  1. Lovely idea - I cannot remember exactly what we used but I know I made some flowers prints with the children (?folding flowers in cotton fabric and then bashing them!!! worked a treat!). As a child I used to use onion skins to dye eggs - sorry going off the beaten track a bit... I shall put my thinking cap on and try to remember...cue a song.
    Best wishes
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loving the technical terms, fold flowers and bash, will most certainly give this a try, thank you kindly :)

      Delete
  2. Oak leaves normally print beautifully especially steamed. Eucalyptus leaves are amazing....so many leaves ..send me a message if you need some more ideas x just came across your blog..where are you in UK? I am in Putney, Londonxlynda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in Hertfordshire :)
      It didn't occur to me to steam the oak leaves, will try that next time, thanks!

      Delete
  3. Just found your blog. I do lots of natural during and find steaming is better for petals and leaves rather than giving them a dunk in water. Some things are also better cooked for longer at a low temperature.

    ReplyDelete