}

Thursday 25 November 2010

Doodle Series - Monarchs - Matilda of Flanders

It's been super interesting researching royal history to find my next subject. There are so many obscure monarchs that I have never before heard of!
For my next doodle, I chose Matilda of Flanders, Queen of the English. It was this that really tickled me.

According to legend, when Duke William II of Normandy (later known as William the Conqueror) sent his representative to ask for Matilda's hand in marriage, she told the representative that she was far too high-born, to consider marrying a bastard. After hearing this response, William rode from Normandy to Bruges, found Matilda on her way to church, and dragged her off her horse by her long braids, threw her down in the street in front of her flabbergasted attendants, and rode off.

Gosh, what a way to start married life! You can read more about Matilda here.

Photobucket

Sorry you can only see half of the image again, I am having difficulty resizing photos on this blog, it is driving me slightly mad. To view the full size version, visit my Flickr photostream here.
To those of you State side, who are celebrating Thanksgiving today, Happy Holidays to you!

<3

4 comments:

  1. What a story! Beautiful long braids and love all of your patterning...would be nice to translate these to cloth later too.

    Jacky xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh if only I had the patience to create something like this on cloth! lol Maybe one day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could print your picture on printable fabric and embroidery parts of her dress w/ your beautiful embroidery. Talk about something I and a lot of others would buy!

    ReplyDelete